A friend of mine recently told me about Share the Dignity #itsinthebag and I was keen to get involved. We are making up a bag for a teenager (yellow ribbon) and an adult woman. These bags once picked up at collection points are then supplied to charities and shelters.
“Giving the gift of a little luxury to women experiencing hardship this Christmas”
The “It’s in the Bag” Christmas campaign idea came to us when we realised that we seem to manage the needs of children at Christmas, ensuring they’re cared for and made to feel special, but the same can’t always be said for those women who put the needs of others before their own. We wanted to make them feel special.
And so the campaign began – we asked Australians to donate a handbag they no longer used, fill it with items that would make a woman feel special and even pop a thoughtful note into the bag to show her that someone cares and that she matters.
Suggested items can include;
- Sanitary items
- Soap, shampoo, conditioner
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Hair brush and hair ties
- Scarf or poncho
- Book or stationary items
- Socks or underwear
- Gift vouchers
Items not recommended;
- Food (of any kind)
- Sharps (razors, knives, scissors)
So far in one of the bags I am helping to make up we have the following items;
- Small pack of facecloths/wash cloths (org cotton) which are multi-purpose
- Soap pack + metal tin for storage (soap box-second hand)
- Nail clipper and eye brow tweezer plus storage box it came in
- Some sanitary items (reusable menstrual cup)
- Toothbrush + toothpaste
- Paw paw lip balm
- Wooden hair brush and wooden comb
- A small book containing heartfelt affirmations
- A hand-made beaded necklace from my daughter
- A hand written card from my family with pictures drawn by my children.
#itsinthebag November 19th to December 3rd 2016
Updated 26th Nov 2016
My daughter and I dropped off the bag we put together at a collection point this morning. My daughter who is almost 5 years of age helped me with the purchasing of some of the items and packing of the bag. It was nice to work together on something like this.