Friday’s is usually a ‘catch all’ day for me, so I gave our living room space a quick clean (vacuum, wipe down surfaces) before taking some photos to show you, but this is what the space looks like when we ‘re-set’ it. This space may look neat and tidy, but it is definitely well loved and used- so absolutely becomes a messy ‘creative’ space, which I love.
Most of our furniture is pre-loved, which I prefer rather than to purchase brand new. This house has three bedrooms and one bathroom, plus a space off the house which is technically an enclosed carport but looks a bit like a rumpus room. The carport area is currently housing some of our storage items, our work desk and children’s toys/work materials.
Living Room– For the time being, we are using this room as our lounge/living room area. We eventually plan on doing a bit of a DIY job and converting our carport/rumpus room into our lounge/living room and then this space will become a dining room.
The one thing I moved out of this space before taking photos, is a picture frame with a photo of my children, that usually sits on the table under the mirror which I removed for privacy reasons.
So, how do we use this space as a family?
- A hangout space for friends and family. If my kids have friends over, I usually put snack foods on the table for the children to share as it’s the perfect child-sized height.
- Gather for story time (on the larger couch), board games, card games using the coffee table.
- Movies/movie night. In the cooler months we bring out our blanket throws which drape over the couch.
- Art/craft- drawing, playdough etc on the coffee table or floor. We do painting on a table outside.
- Sometime I will move the coffee table out of the way and my youngest will set up his train set on the rug.
There is no carpet in this house. The kitchen, hallway and bathroom is all tiled. The bedrooms have this kind of ‘wood look’ laminate flooring. The great thing about tiles in the main living area for my kids- is that they can use their roller-blades (Miss 7), scooter board (Mr 5) or remote control car around the house between the lounge, hallway and kitchen.
Plants; The two types of plants we have in our living room that seem to be thriving is-
- Zanzibar Gem (1 on the side table and 1 on the hallway table under the mirror)
- Peperomia (1 in the small pot on the side table)
- Home Tour 2018 of our 3 bedroom rental townhouse- view HERE.
Next Weeks Post: Our children’s bedroom tour.
Upcoming Post: Children’s Plant-based (Vegan) party food. My youngest has opted out of a ‘party’, but we will still have some party food on his birthday at home and some with friends/family and I will also share the food he will take in to his classroom to share for his ‘Montessori Children’s House celebration’.